Saturday, October 08, 2005

I'm cheap

Most post-secondary institutions are surrounded by pay parking lots, and mine's no exception. It just really chaps my ass that after the school takes their big tuition cheque, we're still expected to fork out two bucks a day to have our cars there. When I was attending this school a few years ago for upgrading and miscellaneous classes, those lots were patrolled by someone on the local payroll. I quickly discovered that simply parking in a lower area, with the nose of the truck up against the bushes, let me get away with not buying one of the little tickets that sit on the dashboard to be viewed from the front of the vehicle. From time to time I did get caught, but a $10 fine every couple weeks was far cheaper than daily handfuls of quarters.
I tried the same routine this year, but the parking management has since been turned over to the same company that takes care of all the really expensive lots downtown. There's a dude in a uniform with a marked pickup that comes through and scours the place at least 3 times a week. There have been three times in the last month that I skipped the ticket, and wound up with a fine on two of those occasions. Bastards.
I considered taking the bus to and from school... but not only do I hate the frickin peasant wagon, but I'm not on a direct route and would have to transfer and crap in both directions.
My prayers were answered just a few days ago. I was on a lunchtime walk along one of the biking trails outside of the school property, when I happened upon a public park. It had baseball diamonds and dog walking paths and... a parking lot. A free parking lot. Following the road out took me through a small subdivision and onto the main route that I normally drive to get to school.
I've been parking there for a week now, and the added bonus of the 10 minute walks don't hurt either. The other morning I saw a monstrous snail crossing the path, the little wet trail he was leaving was a dotted line that marked his path like a cartoon. I need to start carrying my camera with me.

Here's a screenshot. I had the privilege of joining a fifteen person raid group for a run through Upper Blackrock Spire the other night. We killed The Beast on the way up. He was one angry pooch.

No comments: